December 21, 2014, 06:06:47 AM

Author Topic: UMP License?  (Read 8105 times)

Offline Stonecutter908

Re: UMP License?
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2013, 08:25:52 AM »
  I agree 100% that UMP needs to get all their classes under the same rules, not varying from track to track as well as teching all cars the same. This is more important now since they are requiring everybody to be a member.
  But with that being said.....$100 for insurance is CHEAP. Like all insurance, until you use it you're basically not getting anything in return and if that happens thats GREAT and everybodies healthy and safe.
  I'm not picking on G73 just using that post for an example. How could converting a car to run in another class be cheaper than spending $100 for insurance? That thinking is a racers thinking. All racers spend WAY more than they bring in.
  Remember just a short time ago when the expense of raceceivers was the topic of the day? Now it's not thought of.
  A good question that I have is I wonder if UMP insurance can be had for pit crews? Can a crew guy become a member to receive insurance? If so, sign me up.
  JMO

Offline Aftershock

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2013, 08:42:58 AM »
 I agree 100% that UMP needs to get all their classes under the same rules, not varying from track to track as well as teching all cars the same. This is more important now since they are requiring everybody to be a member.
  But with that being said.....$100 for insurance is CHEAP. Like all insurance, until you use it you're basically not getting anything in return and if that happens thats GREAT and everybodies healthy and safe.
  I'm not picking on G73 just using that post for an example. How could converting a car to run in another class be cheaper than spending $100 for insurance? That thinking is a racers thinking. All racers spend WAY more than they bring in.
  Remember just a short time ago when the expense of raceceivers was the topic of the day? Now it's not thought of.
  A good question that I have is I wonder if UMP insurance can be had for pit crews? Can a crew guy become a member to receive insurance? If so, sign me up.
  JMO

Yes, crew members are allowed to buy UMP Licenses and receive the insurance as well. 

Offline Jason

• Drive Fast, Turn Left
    • Brandt Tuning
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2013, 08:44:10 AM »
  JMO

In G73's case, as he said he also has to take into consideration mileage, etc, which is already a substantial cost for where he travels from.  So he could very well be money ahead racing closer, even with conversion costs. 

Offline 1bbmft

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2013, 09:44:26 AM »
  JMO
Thanks, your post is what I tried to say earlier in my post. For the insurance, $100 is the cheapest ins you can get so I have no problem joining and honestly all should join for this reason. My post was about the rules, that if (and it seems we have to) ALL drivers at ALL tracks that run UMP sanction must have a licence, then the rules for all classes MUST be the same at ALL tracks. This way a driver can race at a different track if his home track is off a week or if two guys at two different tracks near the end of the season are close in points they can race heads up, with different TRACK rules they can't. I guess another way we can look at this is, the $100 is for insurance not UMP points, how many times you race, or UMP making money. If the insurance works great, but it sounds like sometimes it works and sometimes not.

Offline RacinG73

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2013, 03:14:38 PM »
  JMO

Like I said, I already have insurance.  And I didn't complain when Raceceivers were mandated because I believe they allow for safer racing.  As for converting a car, when you consider I have been running the same car since I started and I drive an additional 2 hours each way to get to Fairbury, the cost of converting looks fairly small.  It's mostly sheet metal, tires and wheels.  Which I'll be replacing sooner or later.

As far as it being "like a racer" to worry about the $100, I don't think it's accurate to lump me in with the typical driver.  I race a half dozen times a year.  I put a full containment seat and a window net in my car.  I put steel plate in the door.  These are not the actions of someone who doesn't want to spend $100 for insurance.  I already pay for insurance.  I just view this as a push by UMP to milk some more money out of the drivers.  It used to be that national points were something everybody was talking about - back when Bob Memmer was still around.  I bet more drivers were joining back then.  Now, nobody talks about it.  And people like me weren't joining.

FYI - I did check into the national points at one time last year.  I was just ahead of Tony Stewart. ;)

Offline jbass1

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2013, 03:32:57 PM »
Next question is.... If we pay for the licence, and that pays for the insurance. shouldnt the price for pits cost less?

Offline Clubb386

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2013, 09:29:39 PM »
Pits will never cost less the pits and the gate fee for fans helps with our pay out along with the sponsors if tracks had more sponsors we could possibly have bigger pay outs. But sponsors are very hard to come by these days.

Offline RacinG73

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2013, 09:43:23 PM »
Next question is.... If we pay for the licence, and that pays for the insurance. shouldnt the price for pits cost less?

That's kind of the point.  Gate and pit pass money goes to the track for track improvements, payouts, flagman's exorbitant salary, etc.

This new fee goes to UMP.

Hope that made you laugh, Helen. ;)

Offline They called me Helen

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2013, 07:52:56 AM »
That's kind of the point.  Gate and pit pass money goes to the track for track improvements, payouts, flagman's exorbitant salary, etc.

This new fee goes to UMP.

Hope that made you laugh, Helen. ;)

Ya, I got a chuckle out of that one. ;D

Offline 1bbmft

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2013, 09:21:06 AM »
Ya, I got a chuckle out of that one. ;D
Some miss you already, for what they paid you they got off cheap. Have you changed your mind?

Offline They called me Helen

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2013, 10:50:40 AM »
Some miss you already, for what they paid you they got off cheap. Have you changed your mind?

Nope.  You knuckleheads are all Jim's now. ;D

Offline 1bbmft

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2013, 09:03:02 PM »
Nope.  You knuckleheads are all Jim's now. ;D
Oh so now i'm a stooge, nuk, nuk, nuk  ;D

Offline runyou2

Re:FUMP License?
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2013, 10:50:28 PM »
Yea,a hunnerd bucks IS a cheap price to pay for insurance while racing,IF,IF,IF....it pays when needed. A person that lives VERY close to me,busted a few ribs in a hornet about 4 or 5 years ago while racing with a valid UMP license.They have fought and fought ump to HELP pay hospital bills to no avail.NOT A PENNY.Don't EVEN bring it up when talking to the dood! LOL
Maybe that's why Hammer called them fump. ;D

Offline 1bbmft

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2013, 12:38:29 PM »
It's cheap Ins if it works, Some have said it did, others have said it didn't. Maybe the race tracks should tell UMP that WE (promoters, drivers, crews) don't mind shelling out the money but show us a SIGNED UMP Ins policy so we know that there is defiantly something out there and we can read it for ourselves to see what it covers. I don't think this is to much to ask for.

Opinions please??
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 12:40:50 PM by 1bbmft »

Offline cdustyr

• RiP Simulator
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2013, 01:53:10 PM »
wonder if the UMP would provide details in regards to denied claims. Perhaps there are other circumstances in which the actual insurance company rejected claims.