October 01, 2014, 07:19:27 PM

Author Topic: double file restarts?  (Read 1949 times)

Offline They called me Helen

double file restarts?
« on: February 04, 2013, 03:39:57 PM »
Any decisions been made on whether FALS will stay with the double file restarts?

Offline Clubb386

Re: double file restarts?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 03:58:50 PM »
I hope they are gone...

Offline Jason

• Drive Fast, Turn Left
    • Brandt Tuning
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 04:02:07 PM »
I wonder if they've talked about it yet, with all the other things they've been working on.  I'm curious as well.

Offline slidejobu

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 04:02:12 PM »
Keep it!

Offline Race Director

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 04:04:12 PM »
It is on the agenda for tonight's race meeting.  I will update the news from the committee in the morning. 

Thanks,

Matt Curl

FALS Race Director

Offline fals67

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 04:23:30 PM »
I think from a fans view, the double-file restarts are well received; from a drivers view, they dont' seem to be well liked, for whatever reason. I like them, but I'm not a driver. I do think they multified the number of cautions, which in some cases caused awfully long and late nights. I think one of the reasons I liked it,  it did away with placing the cone on the track, and not starting until you passed it. When the green flag is waived, the race should start all around the track!  This also made the officials jobs a whole lot easier!

This is my opinoin, but all the specials we run (ALMS, NALMS, etc.) we have to be consistant with their rules, and basically do what the drivers are used to. We cannot be "different", this can also cause additional  headaches for drivers, and officials.

Offline monksjunk88

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 05:25:18 PM »
how about the lock 8's. i hear more drivers would like to see that gone, than the double files.

Offline Jason

• Drive Fast, Turn Left
    • Brandt Tuning
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 05:42:32 PM »
how about the lock 8's. i hear more drivers would like to see that gone, than the double files.

The lock 8's help a lot with working the track in, as well as bunching the faster guys up for a mini-feature.  It's great for a weekly program, and gives some guys chances to win heats, who otherwise may not. 

I like the double files for features.  I think for heats it's overkill.

Offline slidejobu

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 05:54:47 PM »
I do agree with Jason.. I think dropping it for the heats is good.. Keep it for the Features
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 05:58:52 PM by slidejobu »

Offline GW4

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 06:18:23 PM »
I like the double file restarts.
I also recommends getting rid of the lock 8 and going to the PDC format for all classes. For the classes that don't qualify, after the 1st night you can use their position in points as their qualifying position. This way there is no luck of the draw or having a weak heat race.
I think this would make for more interesting races all through the night.

Offline JMill99m

• Lets Go Racing!!
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 06:24:18 PM »
Double file restarts are great for us fans but i do understand the drivers concern on them. Whatever they decide im fine with.

Lock 8 i really enjoyed when it first came out but now im not so much for it. A bad qualifying lap puts you in a bad enough hole as it is but the lock 8 makes it worse. Having the lock 8 makes a guy able to only start 9th or 10th if he rebounds in a heat and wins. As if theres no lock 8 a guy could rally up in a heat and start in the top 3 or 4 in the feature. I would like to see them try without the lock 8 and see how it goes but of course whatever they decide i will be fine with. Fairbury is still great racing no matter what!

Offline lowside

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 07:04:53 PM »
I think double file restart are great either have passing poin or qualif either have passing point or qualify them just my opinio

Offline lowside

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 07:06:54 PM »
Sorry
Either have passing points or qualifie lower classes
the draw stinks

Offline Clubb386

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 08:15:33 PM »
i think start the practice 45 min earlier and qualify in this order ss sports mod and lm keep the lock 8 its a good format and makes you have to be a good qualifier and you wont get a easy heat race that way the draw will be less effective for ss and sportsman

Offline Jason

• Drive Fast, Turn Left
    • Brandt Tuning
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 08:24:04 AM »
The thing to remember about the lock 8, just like the double file restarts, is that yes sometimes you get screwed, have a bad lap, get stuck starting on the wrong side, etc.  But sometimes you would have qualified 9th, someone else has a bad lap and you sneak in, etc, or you start in the fast line in double file.  In the long run, it all averages out; you can't concentrate on just one week.  So you really have to look at what the advantages to the nightly program are, for each of these items, and decide if it improves the program enough to keep using them, or if it needs changed.

I am also a big fan of passing points for SS/Sports.  I don't like using lineup by track points, because while it's nice for regulars, it does deter new drivers from coming to FALS, since they know they'd have to start at the back.   We want to continue grow both of these classes.  Passing points is a fair method of still using a draw, and giving fast cars a chance to make the feature from the back of the heat.

Starting earlier, early in the season isn't bad, but later in the season just dries the track out that much faster.