October 31, 2014, 10:04:21 PM

Author Topic: I gotta ask.....  (Read 2300 times)

Offline They called me Helen

I gotta ask.....
« on: February 13, 2013, 08:00:20 PM »
O.k., some may think I should just "stay out of it",  since I have stepped down, but even as a fan, I think I would have concern for this topic.

The topic I refer to is revised track rule #37.  Am I the only one who has reservations about calling a lap "complete" after only 4 cars have crossed the line?

I could see maybe calling a lap complete if there were only a couple stragglers on the tail that are not in contention and had not crossed the line, but to "penalize", possibly 5th on back seems extreme to me.

I am curious about the thoughts of others on this. And if I am misunderstanding something, I hope I will be corrected.

Offline Race Director

Re: I gotta ask.....
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 11:25:51 PM »
I am locking this post until I give a full response tomorrow.  I do not want a lot of negative dialog rolling without an understanding of where the race committee came from on this rule adjustment.

Matt Curl

FALS Race Director

Offline Race Director

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 05:16:18 PM »
To all Fans, Drivers, Crews, Spectators & FALS Supporters:

Over the past months, the speedway has encountered many changes through personnel, directors, races, rules, payouts and even the track has been heavily worked on this past fall.  These changes have all occurred through the direct involvement with the race committee and fair board.  Each year, different people head these committees or positions for the well being of the Fairbury Fairgrounds, American Legion and the Speedway races.  As everyone knows, Fairbury has something that not too many tracks in the country have and that is great fans and the support of the local community and businesses.  Whether you are a driver, sponsor, crew member, official, whatever, we are ALL FANS of the Fairbury American Legion Speedway.  Each person that is involved with the speedway or fairgrounds want nothing but the best for everyone enjoying what the races hold each and every Saturday night since 1946.  Everyone remembers times when different rules or races were in effect, but the fact of the matter is, times are changing.  

The fairboard members set up great committees and those committees have a long year preparing for many events throughout the summer for those fans, drivers and spectators.  The Fairbury American Legion Speedway has always been the spotlight track when it comes to progression and leader in the racing family.  New ideas, technology, payouts, races and other leading edge information is what we strive for.  I have grown up here at the speedway, just like everybody else here has, and changes are made every year.  These changes are the result of many discussions from our fans, drivers and officials with the direction of your race committee leading the way.  Everybody has their own opinion on each and every rule that we have here at the FALS.  The forum has been a place where people have gone to show frustration or to criticize anything or "anyone" that went on from what they personally didn't think was right or wrong.  The forum is not a place to question the decisions of these people in charge.  

In a business view, no business owner in the world would want negative and argumentative information posted on a site that promotes and builds excitement for the fans and their community.  FALS has always been hands on with the communication with their fans and are one of the few tracks that actually listens to drivers and fans for new ideas and changes.  The forum will continue to build with the new direction of promotion and entertainment.  I will never be against someone posting information on the FALS forum unless it promotes negative feedback in conversation or questions the decisions of the people that donate a lot of time for the well being of the Fairbury American Legion Speedway.  Like always the committee has fielded questions and will continue to do so professionally.  In the future, if your post gets deleted for some reason, do not take it personally.  We will be monitoring it closely for the well being of promoting our great race track.

In response to the post on Rule #37:

Many different factors contribute throughout the night for great racing.  Anywhere from a timely caution to great track conditions.  Not to mention the drivers that put on a great show for us each and every week.  When looking at this rule, the adjustment has been made to give the racers the best possible finish he has earned.  Too many times cautions come out and half the field are already through the finish line with a lot of passing on that lap.  In researching this, laps are earned and not taken off the scoreboard, time limits will be met and great racing will be rewarded throughout the race.  The scorers will do great in getting everything up to the caution and we will set the lineup from there.  The leader plus 3 rewards guys for a pass they have been working on for laps and also gives the starter the ability to reward and keep safe track conditions at the same time.  In this rule it must be at least 4 positions, but it could work out to be scored as many cars crossed the line before the caution comes out.  Scoring will be just as simplified as before and hard racing will be rewarded, not taken away from a caution.  Too many times drivers that pass someone and the caution comes out, they get penalized.  We are not in the market to penalize people here!  I feel we will have a great team of officials this year and will be on top of many ongoing events.

Agree or disagree, these rules are FOR the drivers and fans.

The Fairbury American Legion Speedway is committed to the ongoing success from the past and into the future!

Respectfully,

Matt Curl

Race Director
Fairbury American Legion Speedway
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 09:03:48 PM by Race Director »

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 10:15:46 PM »
I can certainly understand what you are saying about drivers working to make a pass only to have it erased by a caution.  My concern is for the drivers further back in the pack who work just as hard to pass but still suffer the same fate as before while the front runners (under the new rule) will not. In effect "penalizing" a pass because it didn't happen far enough up in the pack.

I realize it is a slim chance, but in an 8 lap heat race it would be possible (if there was a caution on each lap) for the back of the pack to never complete a lap and the race could be called complete because the lap would count for the front runners but those crossing after the caution would revert back to their starting position each time. I can't imagine a lot of drivers supporting this rule.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I appreciate the response nonetheless.  I guess time will tell.

Offline Clubb386

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 11:26:27 PM »
It seems like a good idea but imo if you have 8 guys running nose to tail and a guy makes a move from 8th to 6th and 5th goes to 3rd and a yellow comes out as 4th comes across the line the guy who has to go back to 8th wont be happy as the guy that moved from 5th to 3rd keeps the spot. In a close points battle that could be huge. I think its a good concept but if you want to do it right I think you would need to have everyone either counted or go back a lap. but the right way to do the whole field you need to race back to the yellow. Racing back to the yellow is fun I have done it before in my career but its dangerous. Part of the reason Nascar got rid of racing back to the line if you could somehow freeze the field I would be up for that idea.

Offline martinfan

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 11:33:25 PM »
I'll have to agree with team 09 don't change everything at once don't get me wrong like to see changes being made and the track going forward Fairbury is my all time favorite track just don't want to see things change to much to fast and lose the 'Fairbury' feel of this track the family feeling.  Was lil concerned when ya locked this post too, what people not supposed to be able to voice their opinon. I agree don't need alot of negative publicity and whining and complaining but people do have their right to voice that and question what has happened or why something happened etc.  Wishing a lot of luck to Fairbury this year and for years to come!!!

Offline Jason

• Drive Fast, Turn Left
    • Brandt Tuning
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 09:55:44 AM »
The one thing about FALS, is they powers that be have traditionally shown flexibility.  If they try something and it doesn't work, they can always revert back to what did work.  But I do agree that, just as with a race car, trying too many changes as once, keeps you from pinpointing what didn't work, if things don't go as planned.  So on the race car, you make incremental, smaller changes, to know what's going to happen and know what to change back when it's not working right.

As far as the thread locking, I have no problem with waiting for clarification before being able to post.  As you can see, after the clarification was posted, the thread is now open again.  That just helps cut down the speculation.

Offline slidejobu

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 11:17:09 AM »
Not sure if I like the new rule but......I'm willing to give it a shot. Might actually help drivers in the long run. And you can't knock down what they are trying to do with Fairbury.. Which is making a great place even better..

Offline 1bbmft

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 09:47:51 PM »
I agree, if I race from 8th to 5th and have to go back to 8th I'm not gonna be happy if a car that races from 5th to top 4 and gets to keep his spot. I've raced just as hard to advance as he has yet i get penalized and its not right. Everything else that you guys have done is great, but this really needs to be thought about more. In your responce you said you want to reward drivers, then don't just reward some we are all there for one thing "to win" races. Also who is gonna make the call to throw the yellow and when? What if the 5th place car is coming out of turn 4 when the 4th place car is crossing the line, or the 5th place car is in turn 3 when the 4th place car is crossing the line, timing is everything. It could get ugly, my opinion is "if it ain't broke don't try and fix it".

Offline reidboys

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 12:47:13 AM »
Say a 10th place guy spins out causing the 11th place guy to check up to avoid from hitting him causing the 11th place guy to drop back to the 15th place. Does the 11th place driver get 11th place back or will he have to go to 15th place? How would it be possible for the people in the tower to keep track of people crossing the finish line plus where the other 16 cars are running at the time of the caution?

Offline awesome1

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 02:13:37 PM »
If your not across the line when caution is thrown you have to go back to the last completed lap for line up.  Meaning a lap down?  So would the 11th place car go back to 11th?  Or because he stopped on track go to back?  I feel so sorry for the tower this year!

Offline Jason

• Drive Fast, Turn Left
    • Brandt Tuning
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 10:02:28 AM »
11th place would go back to 11th, if they had not crossed the line.  This shouldn't really effect the tower a whole lot, other than knowing who the last car to cross was when the caution came out. 

I heard a bit of clarification and good reasoning behind the rule.  The intent is that, if 6 of 8 cars in a heat cross the line, and 2 cars off pace spin out, that the lap gets counted.  They had to pick a number though for the cutoff, which is where they came up with 4.  To me it seems that most times the caution comes out mid crossing, there are at least 6-8 cars that have crossed, with just a handful left. 

It's not "fair" either way.  But they are just trying to mitigate the number of drivers that get penalized, making it more the back of the field than the front of the field; which again puts more emphasis on qualifying well.

Just have to see how it plays out.

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 10:24:37 AM »
So is the back of the field (those crossing after the caution) a lap down? I would hope not. I assume the lap, in effect counts, but nothing they did (if they passed) on that lap counts?  This gets back to the possibility that they could run 8 laps and nothing they do "counts" because they keep having to revert back.  At least the way it was before all cars were scored or all cars reverted. Everybody got scored for the laps that counted.  I can't get my head around this being a good thing.

Offline Jason

• Drive Fast, Turn Left
    • Brandt Tuning
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 01:25:28 PM »
So is the back of the field (those crossing after the caution) a lap down? I would hope not. I assume the lap, in effect counts, but nothing they did (if they passed) on that lap counts?  This gets back to the possibility that they could run 8 laps and nothing they do "counts" because they keep having to revert back.  At least the way it was before all cars were scored or all cars reverted. Everybody got scored for the laps that counted.  I can't get my head around this being a good thing.

That was my understanding, yes.  The lap counts regardless after top 4 have passed the line.  anyone who doesn't pass will be reverted to last laps lineup.

Offline fals67

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 02:14:50 PM »
i'm just wondering, why would you give preferential treatment to the front four. you have to be fair and consistant. the more rules there are, the more difficult they are to enforce. one of the official scorers we had several years ago always pushed for....."keep it simple".
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 02:17:16 PM by fals67 »